Friday, October 31, 2008

For every thing there is a season...



So, I was right, and if you read the previous post, you will see that my predicted lapse happened pretty quickly. I have this habit of planning posts in my head as I am falling asleep (or not falling asleep, as is the case frequently), but when it comes time to put pen to paper, I just can't bring myself to do it. New Year's resolutions land with a thud right around the 4th of January in my house! Still, I am back, so all is not lost. There is grace in the attempt, right?

Despite the rather schizofrenic weather this month (we had snow on Tuesday, and were in the mid sixties for Trick or Treating tonight), it has been a really beautiful fall here in Western PA. I long for the deeply saturated technicolor autumn colors that I remember from my childhood, but the increasingly warm falls in recent years have left us with a more muted pallet. Still, there is a special place in my heart for the sensual pleasures of fall- the smells of burning leaves and cinammon, new crayons and the first day of school, sweet apples and dry leaves crackling underfoot. Even the light is different- golden and shimmering on those rare sunny days, drak and brooding on those inevitable overcast and rainy mornings. My husband and I both love this time of year, and actually planned our wedding around it- so there is always something to look forward to.

Time seems to be moving faster and faster each year, though- we hit Halloween with a bang and are marching relentlessly towards Thanksgiving. The stores have had Christmas items out since August, and I am already burnt out after a long summer of tortuous election coverage. My dad used to say that every time he turned around he thought "My God, where has the time gone?". I never took much stock in that idea, until I turned around and my newborn son was three, and the child that was curled up in my stomach yesterday is now walking and talking. So many things, to think, to see, to experience, and I struggle some days to avoid the compelling argument that life is passing me by. But I soldier on, as we all do, try my best, and most days, I come out with a bit of wisdom that I didn't have before. And, on those other days, when I feel dark and brooding myself, I have to make the decision to stop, count my blessings, and breathe. It even works sometimes.

Editor's Note: Pictures courtesy of my talented husband, Tabascofiend.

No comments: